Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Shooting The Messenger - Narrows, 2008

Another article originally written for a magazine that never saw the light of day. Fortunately, this one isn't so much 'outdated' as just 'late off the mark' at this point. Narrows have just released their debut album, New Distances on Deathwish Inc., and they rule. So read this and check them out.


New Deathwish Inc. signing, Narrows, is kind of like the perfect Fantasy Football team of hardcore bands. Comprised of ex and current parts from Botch, Some Girls, These Arms Are Snakes and Unbroken as well as the indie-rock’n’roll elements of Makeout Boys, Bullet Union and Tropics. With these collected ingredients, Narrows is a concoction of cold, bleak desolation met with violent rythms and compulsively sculpted tone. Their debut 7” EP was released, girt by hype to many a hungry ear, and Deathwish Inc. have slated a full length for later this year. However, as bassist and Unbroken/Some Girls alumni Rob Moran explains, hype is overrated.


“I guess I understand Dave singing like this again is a big deal (as it is even for me), but I hope people don't place expectations on it. This band is not Botch, Unbroken or TAAS – the band is what it is.” As much sincerity as that statement holds, it seems Narrows may have a hard time escaping the ‘supergroup’ stigma, another clichéd notion Moran indignantly refuses. “I cannot stand that tagline. I went through that with Some Girls and people have so many expectations that if it does not sound like what they want to hear, they trash it. As I said, people should take it for what it is and enjoy it for what it is; a new band with people they may or may not have heard of.” The question then is, with members strewn across the west coast of USA, and one residing in the UK, how did these five people come together to become Narrows? The tight-nit nature of Seattle’s hardcore scene, and its exchange of members between bands lends an explanation to the connection between vocalist Dave Verellen and guitarist Ryan Frederiksen. Moran fills in the blanks; “I have always been a fan of Dave's voice and Ryan's guitar sound, so when I found out that Jodie was coming out to Seattle for holiday, I asked him if he wanted to record some songs while he was here. Sam I had known for a while living in California and I knew he could do a solid job playing drums. As to what drew us together, I really can't say. I guess five people that wanted to try something and see where it took us.” He continues, explaining the dynamics between the five; “We all had something to bring to the table when it came to making music. The goal was to make three songs that did not sound like they were written in two days. The best part about it is that it was done without anyone dictating or forcing their sound on anyone else. Ryan, Jodie and I play so differently that we were all able to play something that enhanced the song.”

Here’s the kicker; these three songs were written in that time frame. “We had two practices, wrote three songs and recorded it on the third day.” Moran explains. “It was that ‘We have no idea where this is going to go’ mentality that made it easy to write the music. None of us really had anything concrete written, just a few ideas traded via email. I think we influenced each other more than anything else. I would have a part, and Ryan would be inspired to write something, or Jodie would have a part and I would think of something. It was all written without anyone saying ‘I want to sound like this band’, or ‘This is popular, let's sound like this’. We knew we wanted it to be heavy, dark and current. Hopefully that will translate when people hear the EP.” None of their press so far has let on about just what Narrows are setting out to achieve stylistically, and according to Moran’s, that is just the point and wherein lies the validity of their music. “There weren't really any particular bands that influenced the EP, as it happened all too quick for influences to seep in.”

While the haphazard nature of the band’s conception was integral to their creative arc, Moran insists they have no intention to continue to operate under the same kind of conditions. “With the LP, we had a bit more time to write. Jodie, Sam and I traded songs via email for a few months in early 2008. All in we had close to 20 songs. Some of it was great, some of it terrible.” With the chance to put a bit more critical thought behind it, Moran is able to be somewhat more definitive with what is to come from Narrows. “We just picked the best parts and put them together. I know on some of my songs for the LP I was listening to a lot of Swiz. Some of that is in there for sure. Jodie and Ryan are really into Boris so massive effects and crazy tones are all over the album. We definitely had more time with the LP, and we wanted to put something out that Deathwish and we would be proud of.”


It may seem Deathwish Inc. have won some kind of competition in their signing of Narrows, considering the notoriety of the bands collected parts, and their connections to various other indie notables (the obvious being Hydra Head and Jade Tree). Moran explains their relationship with the label. “I kind of spearheaded that move to Deathwish. I just knew that with our sound, they would be the best fit for the band. What we play may not sound like everything they put out, but many of their releases are diverse and they are good people to work with. I sent them a copy of the EP and they liked it. Also, we didn't really think other labels that we are connected with would even like it. I was wrong, as Justin [Pearson (Swing Kids/Some Girls/The Locust)] from Three One G actually liked it a lot. Either way, I just knew Deathwish would be a good home for this band as they know our touring is limited and I have worked with them in the past. They are good people and I love them as friends and as a label.”

While the recent activities of the band have been very spontaneous, Moran reveals the formation and consolidation of Narrows’ lineup was actually over one year in the making. “The band started in 2006 with a different line up, but Dave was singing and Sam was still playing drums. We stopped playing due to health issues with one of the guitar players and put it on hold after about 4 practices. The band in its current formation started in Oct 2007.” While they are now technically an international band (guitarist Jodie Cox resides in London), a main chunk of the band (Rob, Dave and Ryan) is based in the musically rich hub of Seattle, Washington. Dave Verellen chimes in and shares his feelings on re-entering a scene he was once such a huge part of. “I haven't felt like a part of the Seattle hardcore, or music scene in general for a few years now. I guess it’s just because I had other stuff going on and haven't had time or desire to see new, up and coming bands. I know there is a lot of great music happening up here, I just haven't had my finger on the pulse. I'm sure Ryan has had more exposure to that, being in a more active band (TAAS). Starting out young like we did gave us a lot of time and energy to spend on being a part of the scene. With this band not having played a show yet we haven't introduced ourselves.”

There is no doubt that Narrows have a bright future as a band, for as long as they dictate it is necessary for them to be one. Moran makes it clear that he is not basing any expectations for his new band on the past or current projects of any of the members, but admits he still holds concerns about the external perception of Narrows. “Some people cannot just sit back and buy a record. Yes, it is nice that we were in previous bands, but that should just peak curiosity and not make people think that because of who is in the band, it will be the best band ever. I don't know if anything I do will ever overshadow anything else I've done or not.” Speaking from a wealth of experience, Moran finishes simply with this; “I'm here and it is now, not 13 years ago. I hope people buy the records with open minds. You will be much happier that way.”

NARROWS: GYPSY KIDS (2009) 872 x 480 from My Black Cat on Vimeo.

No comments: